RETURN TO HOME PAGE
More Books to Read
Here's a selection of new books at the Noe Valley Sally Brunn Library, provided by
Head Librarian Roberta Greifer and Children's Librarian Carol Small. The library is located at 451 Jersey St. (near Castro Street). Besides books and periodicals, the branch offers CDs, Internet access, and past issues and an index to the Noe Valley Voice. Hours are Tuesdays, 10 to 9; Wednesdays, 1 to 9; Thursdays, 10 to 6; Fridays, 1 to 6; and Saturdays, noon to 6. To ask about the availability of a book or other materials, call 695-5095.
- Elementals: Stories of Fire and Ice, by A.S. Byatt, is the newest collection of short stories by the author of Possession.
- In Gold, a thriller by Brian Freemantle, a crashed Russian military plane is found to be mysteriously loaded with South African gold.
- In Mistaken Identity by Lisa Scottoline, "the female John Grisham," a criminal attorney defends a murderer claiming to be her identical twin.
- In Another Country, Mary Pipher, Ph.D., the author of Reviving Ophelia, tackles the transition to old age -- for aging parents, as well as for their children.
- Both practical and spiritual, The Courage to Be Rich, by Suze Orman, describes how the average person can fulfill her financial potential, through acceptance, knowledge, and the courage to face the unknown.
- The Cowboy Way: Seasons of a Montana Ranch, by David McCumber, former editor at the San Francisco Examiner, is a colorful account of the 12 months he spent as a working cowboy.
- An exploration of bicultural conflict, To See and See Again by Tara Bahrampour describes her experience as the first in her Iranian-American family to return to Iran.
- Woman: An Intimate Geography, by Pulitzer Prize winner Natalie Angier, combines feminine insight with the biology, history, and literature of the female.
Annotations by Roberta Greifer
- While it's raining outside, parents and son pass the time with an imaginative and loving game in Pete's a Pizza by William Steig. Ages 3 to 5.
- When a little girl is visited at home by a cute, active pig, one thing leads to another... and another...and another, in If You Give a Pig a Pancake by Laura Numeroff, illustrated by Felicia Bond. Ages 3 to 5.
- Joan Steiner must have spent countless hours finding and arranging all kinds of objects to create pictures; the result is a unique book, Look-Alikes. Ages 3 and up.
- A fish is separated from the rest of the school, then is reunited with the others, in How Many Fish? -- an early reader written in rhyme by Caron Lee Cohen. Ages 5 to 6.
- A smart and resourceful 9-year-old, who helps her family in important ways, has problems learning to read until she gets the type of teaching she needs in Just Juice by Karen Hesse. Ages 8 to 10.
- Getting to know a variety of interesting people, including an African Pygmy who is on display, 12-year-old Harry has an unforgettable summer at the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair, in Song of the Molimo by San Francisco author Jane Cutler. Ages 9 and up.
- In Fire! Joy Masoff provides information on the history, training, techniques, and feelings of firefighters. Ages 6 to 10.
- If you enjoy optical illusions, and especially if they are colorfully and creatively presented, spend some time with Walter Wick's Optical Tricks, illustrated with the author's photographs. Ages 8 and up.
Annotations by Carol Small
Children's Music Making
- On Wednesday, May 19, Becky Desroches leads a music program for kids 7 and up, featuring rhythm instruments, stories, and singing and dancing. It starts at 7 p.m.
Films for Kids
- The library will show films for children 3 to 5 on Tuesday, May 18, at 10 and 11 a.m.
Preschool Story Time
- Parents and kids 3 to 5 are invited to the library's preschool story time, at 10 a.m. on Tuesdays May 4, 11, and 25.
Infant and Toddler Lapsit
- Children's Librarian Carol Small leads the finger play and lullabies at the Wednesday evening lapsits, May 5, 12, and 26. The music starts at 7 p.m.
For other library events, call 557-4400 or visit the San Francisco Public Library web site at http://sfpl.lib.ca.us.